Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Juicy Beef Pot Roast



I was first introduced to this dish by my dear American friend, MD. She'd used a packet of onion powder mix and a large can of Campbell mushroom soup. Yesterday, I just tried to repeat this when I didn't have the two ingredients and I found out it worked just as well! The important ingredient is the creamy soup base and any kind will do. And if you can't get hold of a packet of onion powder mix, simply make your own! I also didn't add beef broth or water as most recipes will tell you. I think it works out fine without too.

Equipment:
  1. Slow Cooker (at least 4 quarts big)
  2. Wooden spoon

Ingredients:
  1. Onion powder mix -- in this recipe, I mixed onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme leaves, five spice powder and black pepper. Actually, I believe you can throw in whatever else you want into the powder mix too such as basil, rosemary, sage, etc. I don't think you can ever overdo it with herbs. So use whatever you have and whatever you want freely :) The more you put in, the more flavorful!
  2. Beef chuck roast or pot roast --- 4 lbs
  3. Creamy soup cans --- I used a large can of clam chowder cos that's what I had. Most recipes call for mushroom soup, but the clam chowder turned out fine!
  4. Flat-leaf parsley -- as much as you like, it's mainly for garnishing :)

Method:
This is so easy. First, marinate the beef with the onion powder mix in the slow cooker. Secondly, add the can of soup over it. Stir it a little just to coat the meat with the creamy soup. Then switch on the slow cooker to low heat and cook for 8 hrs. You don't have to touch it anymore after that, so how easy can it get?

Notice I never used salt. The soup is usually savory enough, so I don't add anymore. But you can add if you prefer it more salty, but I think it's healthier this way without.


Final result: Beautifully browned, tender, juicy, beef pot roast just bubbling away in the pot whilst you go to work, go home, do housework, or whatever you want to do for the day. It's as easy as A,B,C! And it's all ready miraculously when you are ready to dig in for dinner at the end of the day!

No comments: